[Public-List] Rudder tube

Stephen Gwyn stephen.gwyn at gmail.com
Wed May 26 15:44:30 PDT 2021

I just had my rudder out of my later model, 1972 boat (#495).

In addition to the midpoint bearing below the prop and the
rudder shoe, there are 2 bearing surfaces within the hull:
One is below the stuffing box, just above the bottom of the hull.
The other is at the cockpit floor level.

On my boat, the top part of the rudder shaft was slightly out of
column with the bottom two bearings. There was a bit of wear
at the cockpit floor bearing level. The lower one was also
a bit worn and the stuffing box was leaking very slightly.

SG