[Public-List] Shaft log, cutlass bearing housing replacement.

David A. Bardsley davebardsley at eastlink.ca
Mon Jun 13 13:11:41 PDT 2022

   Jonathan,
   Thank you for the links.  Lots of great info there for sure.  My
   evenings this week are now booked!
   All,
   The A30 website image at the  ../maintenance/MechanicalPropulsion page
   is a fair representation of my setup.  What's giving me second thoughts
   are the NPT threads on the stern tube, note I haven't yet separated the
   bearing housing from it.  During previous refit work I replaced all the
   factory DIY through hulls with proper seacocks and during that process
   replaced numerous examples of NPT threads screwed into NPS ball
   valves.  I immediately suspected the tube/housing to be of a similar
   setup, however if that position is incorrect and the consensus here is
   the factory housing/tube combination is sound I'm happy to simply
   replace the cutlass bearing and reinstall the assembly.
   What are your thoughts?