[Public-List] Alberg 30 mast supports and winter cover

Gordon Laco mainstay at csolve.net
Sat Sep 9 11:21:15 PDT 2023

We use the mast as our ridge pole for our canvass winter cover.   We call the cover ‘the shroud of Turin’ because it has the imprint of the boat worn into it.   The tarp is 20 x 30

I stand a scissor of 2x4 in the aft end of the cockpit, high enough I can stand up in the cockpit when the cover is on.

Up forward I lay a 2x4 athwartship over the bow pulpit.  When the mast comes down it’s laid on the pulpit and scissor crutch

I have a strut (2x4) which stands in the regular mast step and is a press fit under the midpoint of the mast as protection against snow load.

I leave the ends fore and aft open so air can blow through. We get a lot of snow but accumulation under the tarp is never a problem

We had an owl set up housekeeping under the tarp one year… it was a very clean tenant.  Apparently they don’t poop where they live   The street person wasn’t so tidy.

Gord
Surprise 426
Sent from my iPhone